1. Home
Dan Cross

Appraising Your Guitar

By June 29, 2003

A user asks:
Can you please give me a ballpark value of a one-owner all-original Gibson ES350 in original case, never repaired, in near mint condition?
While I don't provide specific guitar estimates, there are many resources online to help figure out this information for yourself. One of easiest ways to go about estimating the value of a guitar is looking at similar guitar auctions on Ebay.
For more guitar value insight, Blue Book Publications offers the Blue Book of Electric Guitars (as well as the Blue Book of Acoustic Guitars, and the Blue Book of Guitar Amplifiers). Users can order the book, order the information on CD-rom, and even get access to the information immediately via online subscription (from $29.95 per year).
For those serious about getting their guitar appraised, the highly respected George Gruhn (of Gruhn Guitars) offers online appraisals for $35 USD.

Comments

December 23, 2009 at 11:23 pm
(1) Shirley Smith says:

Can you please tell me what the proper name is of a guitar that has a convex back side? IT WAS GIVEN TO ME ABOUT 25 YRS. AGO, FROM A MEXICAN LADY, SO I KNOW IT IS OF LATINO DECENT, BUT DO NOT KNOW WHAT THE INSTRUMENT IS CALLED. IT HAS A SHORT NECK, AND BULDGING BACK (CONVEX), AND IS MADE OF THE MOST BEAUTIFUL WOOD. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR A RESPONSE. REGARDS: SHIRLEY

January 17, 2010 at 4:30 pm
(2) brittany , alexandria indiana says:

hey i have a friend that has a ibanez xv 500 and i have tried every where to see how much its worth even ebay and they had a $750 bid on it so far so how do i go about finding out where to get it appraised… cuz really i have no idea how and the pawn shop owner jus wanna screw ya … id appriciate the help thnx.

February 24, 2010 at 8:36 pm
(3) Jared says:

RE : SHIRLEY (MEXICAN GUITAR)

Sounds like you have a classical guitar of some sort. Perhaps made of Koa wood. Depending on how collectible it is and what era it is from it may or may not be worth a lot. Try looking at the headstock (the top of the neck where the tuners are) or inside the sound hole (beneath the strings). Then type that (or parts of it) into google or eBay and find some listings. Hope that helps!

RE: BRITTANY

You might keep trying eBay to find estimates. Print out some completed listings and hand that to the pawn shop owner. If he refuses to give you around that price (within ($100) I would look elsewhere. Hope I helped!

April 29, 2010 at 12:50 pm
(4) AL says:

I have a 1969 Gibson Dove. I live in Colorado, it’s very dry here. I’m concerned about the guitar drying and cracking. Is there something I can do to prevent this?

May 10, 2010 at 1:47 am
(5) brandon says:

al: do you have a humidifier in the guitar already? also keeping it cool and indoors as much as possible will help immensely

May 10, 2010 at 4:41 pm
(6) Joanne says:

I have a Gibdon Guitar Model J-50ADJ purchased July 7, 1967. How can I find out its value?

July 12, 2010 at 2:12 am
(7) jerry says:

i have a fender that is signed by ronnie and johnny van zant.how do i find out what it is worth?

September 23, 2010 at 4:12 pm
(8) carlos says:

i have a martin guitar that doesn’t have model or serial numbers. just has a stamp in three areas ( cf martin new york ). can someone let me know what kind of a guitar it is

September 24, 2010 at 9:58 pm
(9) Michael says:

I have an acoustic Yamaha (model # CG-110A). About 40 years old, in very good playing condition and exceptionally well-preserved). Anyone know a value of something like that or is it just a $30 asking price for a garage sale?

November 19, 2010 at 2:22 pm
(10) Cecil says:

Carlos,

All Martin’s I have seen have the model and serial number stamped on the inside of the guitar. Sometime you have to search for it.

November 19, 2010 at 2:24 pm
(11) Cecil says:

Carlos,

All Martin’s I have seen have the model and serial number stamped on the inside of the body. Sometime you have to search for them.

December 15, 2010 at 1:02 am
(12) Trevor Simoneau says:

Hey, I have an Original made in America 1988 Fender Stratocaster.
Serial Number: E842582
It’s Seafoam Green, Its in decent shape. Need a new whammy, painjob and a polish. I believe everythings original on it.
All Kahler Pickups. I Cant find it anywhere such as ebay and ect. Lemme know if you can get a rough estimate, and if anything on it.

January 3, 2011 at 4:18 pm
(13) marg says:

I have a fender white accoustic 6, gemini 1V . i am looking to sell it but can not find any comps what-so-ever to compare to
has any one got any info on this model…it is in perfect condition

February 1, 2011 at 11:21 pm
(14) chops says:

I have a acoustic ibanez pf6-nt-14-03 and I am having a hard time pricing it. Perfect condition.

February 10, 2011 at 6:44 pm
(15) mike says:

i have a 1963 fender custom telecaster would like to hear other peoples opinions on what it is worth, thank you

April 4, 2011 at 6:35 pm
(16) Drew says:

I have a 1942 Martin Model 00-17 all original parts and it’s in really good condition. Heck when I strummed it those rusty old strings were almost in tune. Do you know aprox what it’s worth?

April 11, 2011 at 9:35 pm
(17) joshua says:

i have a silvertone electric guitar model ss-11/r got a few scratches in it has two string just have buy the rest and fairly good condistion i belive it to be vintage not for sure i would like an aprasal please help me i need it to know how much it could be worth

May 10, 2011 at 12:16 pm
(18) Gabi says:

I have a Dean Icon AXV in trans flame blue.
Discontinued 1998
Arched flame maple top
Mahogany body
Maple neck
Rosewood fingerboard
Floating tremolo
22 frets
But I can’t find it ANYWHERE on the internet, and I was just curious to find out how much it’s worth.

May 15, 2011 at 3:25 pm
(19) Daniel says:

Hi,
I have an early-mid 80′s blonde strat with a factory Kahler trem. (no hole through body), locking nut and all gold plated knobs, t. keys and jack. The guitar is made in the USA and has the Fender logo (black writing gold trim) and serial number on headstock. I have had a few ppl look at it, but no details. Seems pretty rare, as I can never find one selling on ebay.
Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Daniel

June 6, 2011 at 2:49 pm
(20) JAY says:

RE: SHIRLEY IT IS CALLES A VIHUELA WITH A SILENT H

July 21, 2011 at 2:13 pm
(21) Tanner says:

Hi, I have a kind of rare guitar that i want to sell but have no clue what its worth. My dad who knows a little bit about guitars says its worth thousands. Its a 1987 Kramer NightSwan whith lightning bolts on it. Its the exact guitar Vivian Campbell used around that time. Its in very good shape and has the original Floyd Rose bridge. Please give me a good estimate on this guitar. Thank you!

September 20, 2011 at 6:40 pm
(22) Eric Mills says:

I have a what i believe according to the serial number a 1970 model Guild Acoustic D-25BR guitar in almost mint condition. Here is a link to a pic http://www.vintageandrare.com/uploads/products/18449/82198/Guild-D25-BR-1970-search_thumb.jpg
Can anyone give me a ballpark of what it might be worth? It is also autographed personally by Michael Franti if that means anything. Thx for the help

September 30, 2011 at 7:14 pm
(23) Eddie Ortiz says:

hi i was wonder what my guitar costed or where it came from. its a : overtone single humbucker (6 string) with a cutaway body and a neck that resembles a Gibson , mahogany frets (Jumbo ) and they only go to 21 . it has a natural gray body with black fading in all around the front kind off like a wash-burn . and it only has a volume and tone knob . p.s the humbucker has 6 circular magnets on each single of the 1 double humbucker . so 1 humbucker pickup but there 2 single couils wrapped together it looks like . just to give u a better idea.

October 15, 2011 at 11:36 pm
(24) dave says:

Need the value for a 1995 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 Top 10

October 16, 2011 at 4:50 am
(25) Spencer says:

I have an early 80′s Kramer holoflash nightswan. I was given it for free and was seeing if I can get and estimate for free

November 16, 2011 at 12:35 pm
(26) amber says:

Hey I really need help here and as soon as possible, I want to buy a guitar it is a morris guitar model G203# I can’t find the book value and I would really like to know it please get back to me as soon as possible. Thank you bye.

January 1, 2012 at 9:12 pm
(27) jerry burke says:

I have a Joe maphis model moserite double neck same as junk hendrix played . About how much could it be worth ?

April 24, 2012 at 7:26 pm
(28) casey says:

i have a beautiful old galveston guitar and have no idea of even the brand galveston and it’s signed by rhonda vincent and the cherry holmes family. it’s a really good guitar and i know one when i play one. i’ve owned it for years and i am wondering if anyone could help me out with an appraisal?

May 25, 2012 at 1:07 pm
(29) Andrew says:

Price of a Gibson dove, 1963. Original everything

May 28, 2012 at 4:46 pm
(30) kris says:

i have a hondo h-150 that i want to sell but cant find its worth anywhere. does anyone know?

June 5, 2012 at 4:27 pm
(31) Geoff says:

Hello,

I have a Gibson acoustic with the original case I was told it was made in the 40′s. it is all original has some minor damage but nothing major just a few nicks and scratches. I was looking at prices for these online, and I saw one sell on an auction for $38,000. I’d like to get an accurate appraisal on it, but I’m not sure where to take it.

June 18, 2012 at 12:28 pm
(32) Ed says:

Did not see the manufacturer of my guitar on your web site. I have a 1983 Custom Built Philip Kubicki Strat. Rock maple nect and Alder body. The head of the guitar is signed Philip Kubicki California USA. I have seen a few post about the Kubicki necks. Any insight into the value of a giutar made by Phil?

June 27, 2012 at 1:57 pm
(33) waymon says:

i have a 1963 vintage silvertone harmony electric quitar with a wooden bridge any body know what its worth

August 22, 2012 at 11:53 am
(34) Jack says:

I have a Gibson es355 #848677. Not really sure what year it was made.
I bought it around 1970. I was wondering what it might be worth?
Thanks

September 6, 2012 at 8:38 pm
(35) Frank says:

I have a 1981 vintage 10th aniversery ovation mint condition how much can i sell this for if i was selling to a collector contact me at selgbey58@gmail.com

September 9, 2012 at 2:46 pm
(36) Tanner says:

I have a vivian campbell kramer nightswan guitar that is in near mint condition. it has original floyd rose on it. it is exactly like the one you allways see vivian campbell holding in old pics. its the lightning bolt looking one. im not sure how much its worth and i would like to kno how much. thank you

November 5, 2012 at 5:29 pm
(37) Josh k says:

I just came across my old guitar, it’s a 1968 J. S. Sesoko made Acoustic guitar, beautiful condition with slight nicks along the neck and a hairline crack in one of the ivory rods on the head. It doesn’t have stings, but when I played it, it made the most amazing sounds. I used to play it without regards to what the make or year it was, I was young and dumb, but I took care of it. I am in a kind of a tight spot right now and was looking to sell it. It breaks my heart to part with a piece of my childhood but its coming to that point. If anyone has any clue how much it is worth I would greatly appreciate a response.

April 25, 2013 at 7:36 pm
(38) AJ says:

I have an acoustic 1975 Conn pink floyd wish you were here tribute guitar. Sounds great and i want to know how much it is worth. The neck isn’t warped and it doesn’t fret out anywhere but does not have the original paint job.

March 25, 2014 at 5:11 pm
(39) Jenn Rudy says:

We have a Suzuki acoustic guitar number 12. Serial number 650430. What would it be appraised at if in fair condition